Friday, October 5, 2012

DURCHEINANDER Chapter Four THE NEW COOK

 
 
Dame J. E. Marshall Productions Presents
 
DURCHEINANDER
The Homage to Sir Alfred Hitchcock
 
 
Chapter Four
THE NEW COOK / July 3, 2013
 
 

 
 
Thelma couldn't find Tommy in the kitchen so she went out back to the staircase that led up to the cook's apartment.  The indoor staircase led directly up to the roof top dining area of the cafe, bypassing the second story apartment.
Thelma found Tommy sitting on his balcony surrounded by bougainvillea and potted flowers.  He took his feet down from the railing and stood at attention when he noticed Thelma standing below.
"But soft, what sight do I see down yonder!  It is my bodacious Thelma! What does she want I wonder!?"  Tommy Barton said with a huge smile on his face. 
"Don't you try to charm me, Tommy Barton!  I've been around the block a lot of times."  Thelma sneered at him.
"It don't show.  It don't show a bit."  Tommy shook his head as he descended the stairs. "You still got it,Thelma."
"What were you doing up there?  I thought you'd be down here doing your prep work."  Thelma grilled him, trying not to smile back.
"Done it. I was just having myself a little nap. Beauty sleep, so you might notice me someday." Tommy winked. "Why don't you come on up here and let me make you some of my ma-ma's famous durcheinander? That's French for poor people's dumplings."
"That's German for 'hot mess', which is what you are!" Thelma couldn't help but smile. "Did the crickets keep you awake last night?"
"No, ma'am. They don't bother me none.  It's just that I waited all night for you to show up and you never did. I guess I don't got what it takes." Tommy scratched his head, lowered his eyes and shuffled his feet slowly as if he was ashamed of himself.
"Thomas Theodore Barton, you better behave yourself or one of these night's I might come up those stairs."  Thelma grinned.
Thelma and Tommy were startled by the sound of breaking glass and shouting inside the cafe.
"O Dear God, it's Melanie's ex.  Go back up to your apartment  and call the police!"  Thelma cried.
"Here's my cell phone, you call the police, sweetness. I'm going inside.  Nobody puts my ladies in the corner!"
 
 ~ To Be Continued ~

No comments:

Post a Comment